Taking Your Work to the Next Level With Attachments
Update: We’re always curious about the types of attachments you want to add to your works. You asked for Prezi and SoundCloud and we’re happy to announce that you can now begin adding files from those services to your works! Have other attachment sources you’d like us to consider? Email us at email@example.com!
Please also take a look at our FAQs below, we’ve added a few new Q & A’s!
Part of what makes Seelio great is the ability to add attachments to your work. There’s more to your story than bullet points and we’ve recently made it even easier to show what you’ve done with updates to the attachments that we support.
- Pulling Attachments From Your Computer
- Pulling Attachments From the Internet
- Frequently Asked Questions About Attachments
Tips & Tricks for Attachments
- Stuck on finding an image for an attachment? Browse the examples along the right side of the add work process. Consider adding a picture of you or your team, a logo, or even a summary slide for a longer paper.
- If you don’t like the way your attachment looks, try applying a filter to it! You can access filters by clicking the pencil icon in the top right corner of the attachment and click “Edit Photo”.
- The “hide” function found under the edit pencil lets you make an individual attachment visible only to you. These attachments can be helpful when you come back to the work later (such as before an interview!) and want to refresh your memory on certain aspects of the project but don’t want those drafts to be visible to others.
Here’s a quick overview of the ways you can add attachments to your work:
- Documents: doc, docx, pdf – Your documents and pdfs will be displayed in scrollable format that can be viewed in both normal and full-screen mode. Consider adding a cover page or cover image in your documents so they display well in your work.
- Presentations: ppt, pptx – Likewise, powerpoint presentations can be viewed slide by slide and in full-screen mode.
- Images: jpg, gif, png – We optimize images during the upload process so that they look their best wherever they appear, whether it’s your profile, the gallery, or on a work page. You can resize, apply a filter, or select a thumbnail view with the edit icon at the top right corner of your attachment.
We’re excited to expand the options you can choose from when you’re pulling attachments from the internet into your work. Connect with any of the tools you’re already using– we won’t store your username and password and we’ll never post anything without your permission.
- Enter a URL- The URL tool enables you to:
- Grab a screenshot or any image from a web page – this includes logos and pictures.
- Grab a video from Youtube or Vimeo, a presentation from Prezi, or a sound file from SoundCloud.
- Facebook- With this feature you can log in to your account and choose images you’ve been tagged in or any images you’ve uploaded. Also, have no fear– uploading photos from your Facebook will not automatically transfer all of your photos to Seelio, it will only grab the ones you select.
- Gmail – When you connect to your Gmail account, you can grab any attachment that you have sent or received in an email. As a reminder, our accepted file formats include: .doc, .docx, .pdf, .ppt, .jpg, .png, .gif. You can also grab Google Drive and Dropbox documents that have been shared in an email.
- Dropbox, Box, and Google Drive – After linking to your account(s), you can grab a copy of any file (.doc, .docx, .pdf, .ppt, .jpg, .png, .gif) to attach to your work. Since the attachment will exist as a copy, it will not update as your file updates so be sure to upload a new version if you make any changes in your other accounts!
- Instagram, Flickr, and Picasa – You can also grab any photo from your Instagram, Flickr, or Picasa profile. If you delete the photo, the attachment will remain intact on your work. If you want to pull images you do not own from these services, you can insert the URL into the URL tool, as long as the owner allows you to use the image.
Q: I have a document, should I add it as an attachment or paste the text into the description?
A: Add it as an attachment! The description field is best for a summary of your work so we recommend using it to give a quick overview of your work and then adding the more extensive pieces as attachments.
Q: What are the gear icons that show up next to my attachment? And, do I have to wait while my attachment uploads?
A: The gear icons are our way of saying that your attachment upload is in process. Sometimes files with a lot of images or special formatting take some time to upload. Feel free to continue on to the next step and even click “Finish”. Your attachment will automatically be pulled in as soon as it’s ready!
Q: Why aren’t my files from Google Drive appearing?
A: Google Docs should convert to PDF files when you upload them. If for some reason your Google Doc isn’t converting, you can quickly convert it to a PDF before uploading with instructions found here.
Q: What is a cover photo and why should I choose one?
A: A great cover photo helps your work stand out in the gallery and on your profile. We’ve found that the clickthrough rate on a work with a clear, compelling cover photo is significantly higher than a work without one.
Q: Facebook won’t let me grab the images I want. Why?
A: To pull a photo from Facebook, it must be either an image that you have uploaded or one that you’re tagged in. If you don’t own the image you could try pasting the direct URL of the image into our URL tool, just ask the owner first!
Q: I uploaded a .pdf but I can’t select the page I want as the cover photo. Why?
A: Currently you can only choose the first page of a PDF or document as your work’s cover photo. If you want to use a PDF or document as the cover photo for your work, we recommend that you create a title page so that it will look its best on your profile.
Q: How do I change the order in which my attachments appear?
A: Attachments will arrange in the order that you upload them. To change it, simply drag the attachments into the order that you prefer.
Q: How do I determine which attachment is my cover photo?
A: To make a specific attachment the cover photo for your work, click the pencil icon at the top right corner of the attachment and choose “Set as cover photo”.
Q: I typed a URL into the URL tool, why aren’t any images showing up?
A: The images on the site might not be big enough. We don’t pull any images smaller than 100 pixels x 100 pixels. Or, it may be a background image. Currently we only pull images from a page, not background images. Also, some websites do not allow image grabbing tools to pull images from their site. If you think your image should appear but it is still not showing up, let us know!
Q: How do I crop my attachment’s thumbnail?
A: To select a thumbnail, click on the pencil icon in the top right corner of the attachment and select “Edit Photo”. You can then drag your cursor to select an area of the attachment to be displayed as the thumbnail.
Are there other web-services that you use that you’d like Seelio to connect with? Share them with us!